We’ve had quite a wet Spring here in New England, which can be good for those of us with a green thumb. However, with the constant downpour, there can be some serious wire damage.
Dangers of Water Damage to Electrical Wiring
- Fire Risk – You can suffer from a serious fire if there is damage to the wires. When wires are exposed, this can become extremely dangerous.
- Electrical Shock – Electrocution can occur from a variety of ways including failure of electric tools, equipment or standing water. In some cases, this can be fatal!
- Damage of Home Appliances – Both electricity and wiring are very specific and if anything alters the circuitry, power surges can occur along with other malfunctions which can fry appliances.
Identifying Water-Damaged Electrical Wiring
- Submerged Wires -ANY wire that comes into contact with standing water should be replaced ASAP.
- Light Buzzing – After heavy rain, you may notice a hum or light buzzing coming from several wires or appliances. You should never try to fix the buzzing yourself because this could be a rogue charge which will shoot into you.
If you had submerged wires that have dried out AND the wires have been shut off, you can use heavy-duty work gloves to move the wires. For professional residential and commercial electrical services, contact Cardoso Electrical Services at 781.246.7700.