Photovoltaics, what are they? When people think of solar energy they picture solar panels on people’s roofs. Those solar panels are one way to generate photovoltaic energy. Photovoltaic energy is the generation of electrical power by converting solar radiation into a direct electrical current by way of semi-conductors, which can power a number of devices that we use in our everyday lives. There are a lot of benefits of using solar energy to power devices through the process known as solar photovoltaics. Some of those benefits include:
- PV Panels (Photovoltaic Panels) provide clean-green energy for homes with no harmful, green-house gas emissions making them environmentally friendly.
- Once installed, solar energy is powered by nature making it extremely cost effective and able to be installed anywhere that has sunlight (which is almost everywhere).
- There are government rules in place that allow you to sell them excess energy, if your home is producing more energy than you are consuming.
- There is little maintenance involved with solar energy PV panels. They just need to be kept relatively clean and must be in the sunlight. So trimming tree branches might be needed to keep the solar panels in good light.
- With good maintenance solar PV panels should last about 25 years or more.
- Unlike wind turbines these solar panels do not produce any disturbing noise as most of them do not have moving parts incorporated in their design. Unless they are on a moving base to follow the direction of the sun for more solar power absorption.
- Solar Energy is actually the perfect form of energy to be used with regard to weather and need. For example, on a very hot day there people will want to use more energy for air conditioning or fans. This is perfect because on that hot day, the solar energy is at a peak where there is a lot more energy being produced than normal.
Going green is smart for many reasons; most green initiatives are cost effective and will save people a lot of money in the long run; they produce less harmful green-house gas emissions; green-initiatives can provide a huge boost in re-sale value for homes because home buyers are now looking for greener more energy efficient homes. If you are interested in installing or learning more about solar photovoltaic panels or the process of photovoltaics please call us at 781-246-7700.