Electrical accidents occur constantly. Avoiding a hazard just takes common sense such as avoiding too much wiring or not using a hair dryer near water. However, there are numerous electrical hazards around the home that are difficult to see.
Extension Cords & Plugs
Using cords that are melted, burning or display signs of damage should never be used. When the cord is loose from the plug or there is visibility of insulation damage, the cord must be replaced. Do not use a cord that has been repaired with electrical tape. Extension cords should not be used for permanent hookup and should always be concealed. 3-pronged grounded cords must be used for the correct appliances.
Lamps & Light Fixtures
Another major cause of electrical damage is the misuse of lamps and lights. For instance, using a 100-watt bulb in a 60-watt fixture will surely melt wires and create fire hazards. The same advice goes for appliances. Make sure they are cleaned out before use and don’t use an appliance that smokes, buzzes or is burning.
Anything from loose connections on switches and outlets to overloaded circuits can cause an electrical-related house fire. In general, electrical wiring is done behind the scenes so it is best to have your home inspected by a professional electrician. At Cardoso Electrical, we have years of experience protecting homes with our electrical services. Contact us today for any of your electrical needs.