Is there any way to make sitting on your back porch with your friends while watching a beautiful sunset, better? Why not add your favorite music at your finger-tips? An outdoor speaker system is gives the sound quality of putting on headphones with the relaxing aesthetics of the great outdoors. Outdoor speaker systems are specifically designed to pierce through the everyday noises that go on outside (barking dog, cars, birds, etc.). Not only that, but inside a room there are walls to reinforce poor sound and contain it, outside no such walls are there so it is important to pick the right speakers for your outdoor system. Here are a couple of tips to help you pick the right outdoor speaker system:
• Do the speakers have a low frequency response (60Hz. or less)? This will increase the bass quality of the speakers to enhance the listening experience.
• Are the outdoor speakers made of durable material that can withstand the outdoor elements? Pick an outdoor speaker system that has been tested for the outdoor conditions.
Placement is extremely important when installing your outdoor speaker system; it can affect the sound quality, durability and functionality of your outdoor speakers. Here are some tips to help you choose where to place your speaker system:
• The higher your speakers are installed the better the sound projection, giving you great sound quality at greater distances. However you do not want to place the speakers more than 10 feet higher than the listening area because it will create a very thin sound.
• Placing the outdoor speakers in a spot where they will not be as affected by the elements, like under a porch overhang, will increase longevity.
• Set up your outdoor speakers about 12 feet from the listening area and roughly 8-10 feet apart from each other, this will give you the best sound imaging.
• When installing your outdoor speaker system run the wires through the walls and not through doorways or window openings. It is easy to crush the wire and short them out.
• If the sound is unsatisfactory in a listening area adding more speakers is better than turning up the volume. Turning up the volume can disturb your guests who are in the area where the speakers were already loud enough and it can blow the speakers out.
• Installing volume controls for the outdoor speaker system in close proximity to the listening area will stop you from having to run in and out of the house until the sound is perfect.
• The most common way of powering outdoor speaker systems are multi-zone receivers that allow you use different audio signals in different areas of the house, so while your outside enjoying some music and a drink, the kids can be inside watching cartoons and no one is disturbed.
An outdoor speaker system is a fantastic way to enhance the beauty of the outdoors and makes every BBQ a club, concert, or just a relaxing meal with music. For any questions or inquiries about installing an outdoor speaker system, give us a call at (781) 246-7700.